VHF contest

Steve London

I will be on 6 meters, CW, SSB and FT8.

I could borrow some 2 meter equipment, but there is very little incentive for me to bother here on the eastern edge of DM52. I did this several years in a row in the previous decade, when there was even more 2 meter CW and SSB activity than now. My 2 meter record in the June contest was 14 QSO's ! That was with 150 watts, 17 elements, and a hilltop QTH.

73,
Steve, N2IC

Mike WB2FKO

Steve, that setup would work very nicely for 2m meteor scatter on MSK144.  Yes, it's harder on 2m than 6, but you can setup skeds on Pingjockey.  I suspect you'd get a lot of interest being in a rare grid.  Admittedly there's not a lot of contest incentive when the more difficult 2m QSOs count the same as 6m. -FKO

On 6/6/19 8:08 AM, Steve London wrote:
I will be on 6 meters, CW, SSB and FT8.

I could borrow some 2 meter equipment, but there is very little incentive for me to bother here on the eastern edge of DM52. I did this several years in a row in the previous decade, when there was even more 2 meter CW and SSB activity than now. My 2 meter record in the June contest was 14 QSO's ! That was with 150 watts, 17 elements, and a hilltop QTH.

73,
Steve, N2IC

David Hollander

Please get on 2 meters Steve. There is more activity in Arizona than a few years ago and sounds like it is the same in New Mexico. The last few VHF contests have had between 30 and 50 QSO's on 2 meters and they were not all in Phoenix. 7-9 grids.

73,

Dave N7RK

--
Dave Hollander N7RK
Arizona Tube Supply

Ham Radio Page
http://n7rk.com

James Duffey

Steve - How many QSOes and mults would it take on 2M to give you incentive to get on?

On Jun 6, 2019, at 09:54, Mike WB2FKO <mph@sportscliche.com> wrote:

Steve, that setup would work very nicely for 2m meteor scatter on MSK144. Yes, it's harder on 2m than 6, but you can setup skeds on Pingjockey. I suspect you'd get a lot of interest being in a rare grid. Admittedly there's not a lot of contest incentive when the more difficult 2m QSOs count the same as 6m. -FKO

On 6/6/19 8:08 AM, Steve London wrote:
I will be on 6 meters, CW, SSB and FT8.

I could borrow some 2 meter equipment, but there is very little incentive for me to bother here on the eastern edge of DM52. I did this several years in a row in the previous decade, when there was even more 2 meter CW and SSB activity than now. My 2 meter record in the June contest was 14 QSO's ! That was with 150 watts, 17 elements, and a hilltop QTH.

73,
Steve, N2IC

James Duffey

Steve - The QSOes you make on 2M multiply the mults on you make on 6M, and the QSOes you make on 6M multiply the mults on 2M, so it is not just the QSOes and mults what you make on 2M that increase your score. - Duffey

On Jun 6, 2019, at 11:53, James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

Keith Morehouse

Jim, you maybe planning on a NW rove route this weekend ?  I will have the bottom 4 bands playing, with a KW on 432...

-W9RM - DM58XN

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 10:58 AM James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
Steve - The QSOes you make on 2M multiply the mults on you make on 6M, and the QSOes you make on 6M multiply the mults on 2M, so it is not just the QSOes and mults what you make on 2M that increase your score. - Duffey

> On Jun 6, 2019, at 11:53, James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
>
> Steve - How many QSOes and mults would it take on 2M to give you incentive to get on?
>
> James Duffey KK6MC
> Cedar Crest NM
>
>> On Jun 6, 2019, at 09:54, Mike WB2FKO <mph@...>
>>
>> Steve, that setup would work very nicely for 2m meteor scatter on MSK144.  Yes, it's harder on 2m than 6, but you can setup skeds on Pingjockey.  I suspect you'd get a lot of interest being in a rare grid.  Admittedly there's not a lot of contest incentive when the more difficult 2m QSOs count the same as 6m. -FKO
>>
>>> On 6/6/19 8:08 AM, Steve London wrote:
>>> I will be on 6 meters, CW, SSB and FT8.
>>>
>>> I could borrow some 2 meter equipment, but there is very little incentive for me to bother here on the eastern edge of DM52. I did this several years in a row in the previous decade, when there was even more 2 meter CW and SSB activity than now. My 2 meter record in the June contest was 14 QSO's ! That was with 150 watts, 17 elements, and a hilltop QTH.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Steve, N2IC

Steve London

On 06/06/2019 10:53 AM, James Duffey wrote:
Steve - How many QSOes and mults would it take on 2M to give you incentive to
get on?

From past experience, I can fill out the log for my 2 meter QSO's right now:

- The 3 guys in El Paso (K5LA, K5PHF, ...)
- WB2FKO
- W7QQ
- Maybe N1AV
- AA7A, if he is on
- WA7JTM, if he goes to DM53 or DM54
- K5AM (W5SIX) if he is on from his mountain QTH

WA0QJE would be on the list, but I would be borrowing his 2 meter radio.
NM5SD is an SK.

None of the rovers will be in range. Guys running <=100 watts to small beams living in (Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque) valleys just aren't workable from here.

Life is tough on VHF in DM52XT, even on a hilltop :)

73,
Steve, N2IC