6M DX report Sunday 6/4

Keith Morehouse

Band was open again this morning from DM58, this time mostly high latitude path to Scandinavian countries (LA/OH/SM) with a few northern mainland Europeans thrown in (DK/PA/ON, ect).  Band was extremely variable, with stations quite strong one minute and fading out the next.  Geo-mag conditions were a bit improved over yesterday, but still slightly disturbed.  For our part of the country, EU started about 1545Z, conditions peaked around 1630Z and continued until approx 1730Z.

As of 2000Z, there is still a major EU opening going on for the east coast, with multiple paths into northern Eu and the Mediterranean areas.  Also, some transcontinental activity exists from new England to Pac NW.

There is always a good chance of an Asian opening a little later this afternoon.

Of course, as is the norm now, all this activity was on FT8.  REMEMBER - for inter-continental traffic on FT8, USA stations should send SECOND SEQUENCE while pointed to EU/AF and FIRST SEQUENCE when attempting to work Asia.  From this part of the country, you will have to deal with very loud stations one Es hop away from you, either in the upper Great Lakes area or the Pac NW.  Out of sequence  calling will have you transmitting the same sequence as the DX, which means you will not hear the DX.  Other out of sequence stations will impact your ability to hear weak guys.  Also, keep in mind, in the USA, stations have valid reason to TX either sequence if they are not DXing - it all depends on who (or which way) they are working.  That's just how it is now that everybody decided it's cool to be on the same frequency.

Ed

Only one station worked here (OH3SR @16:20) Heard by 5 other OH,One LA and 2 PA. But only 1 contact. Keith seems to be in the right spot. Not many EU openings make it down here.

  Ed N5JEH

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Mike WB2FKO

N7KA worked EA8YV the old fashioned way on cw.  DX database updated with a new top distance for cw at 5129 miles.  I let FT8 run unattended for most of Sunday afternoon and decoded an OH1, but that's it.   I suspect there are some NM ops on this mailing list (AI5I, N5JEH, ??) who have eclipsed 6000 miles using FT8 on 6m.  Would like to add these extreme DX QSOs to the online record, so please let me know.  W5UHF logged an 1100+ mile MSK144 QSO on 144 MHz during the June contest, but I don't have enough details to add to database.  W7QQ should get me that info at some point, as well as all the new UHF and microwave records.

Mike WB2FKO

On 06/24/2018 07:04 PM, Ed wrote:

Only one station worked here (OH3SR @16:20) Heard by 5 other OH,One LA and 2 PA. But only 1 contact. Keith seems to be in the right spot. Not many EU openings make it down here.

  Ed N5JEH

KC7QY

Mike,

I just checked my 6M CW QSO with ON4IQ (JO20ar) from last year. My logging program says 5,258 miles. You might want to confirm the distance. I'm in DM64nb. Contact was 13 June 2017 at 17:58. My end was 100 wts to 3 elements. Johan did the heavy lifting with his H-frame of four M2 8 els. (His QRZ page says he's upgraded to 9 elements now)

Jim KC7QY

On 06/24/2018 07:04 PM, Ed wrote:
Only one station worked here (OH3SR @16:20) Heard by 5 other OH,One LA and 2 PA. But only 1 contact. Keith seems to be in the right spot. Not many EU openings make it down here.

  Ed N5JEH

Mike WB2FKO

Jim, that is great DX but the database is only for QSOs made after 1 Nov 2017.  I think if we included legacy QSOs, N5JEH and N7KA would have most of the records!  Mike

On 06/24/2018 07:04 PM, Ed wrote:
Only one station worked here (OH3SR @16:20) Heard by 5 other OH,One LA and 2 PA. But only 1 contact. Keith seems to be in the right spot. Not many EU openings make it down here.

  Ed N5JEH

KC7QY

I knew there must have been a reason I hadn't submitted it before.

Jim KC7QY