Topics

[Rmvhf] Worked all New Mexico Grids award

Alan Shapiro

Would it make sense to require that contacts from the grid square be made with station(s) in separate grids?
Alan, NM5S

On 10/20/2017 5:23 PM, Steve Hutcherson via Groups.Io wrote:
Well first, Tnx to Bill W7QQ for the leg work on the award. Also, Duffey is right...it should be an award that is achievable, but not trivial. I think there should be a certain distance between /m's or rovers so the  Moriarity Confluence cannot be used between mobiles, etc.
As Duffey said: "let's not make it trivial"  My quarter's worth.:-)

73, Hutch
WB5CTS
DM65qd

Steve Hutcherson

Well first, Tnx to Bill W7QQ for the leg work on the award. Also, Duffey is right...it should be an award that is achievable, but not trivial. I think there should be a certain distance between /m's or rovers so the  Moriarity Confluence cannot be used between mobiles, etc.
As Duffey said: "let's not make it trivial"  My quarter's worth.:-)

73, Hutch
WB5CTS
DM65qd

Steve Hutcherson

Keith is correct. Separate Categories is a great idea !

73, Hutch
WB5CTS

Bill

Thanks Bruce,

Shudda passed this thru a review comittee. Will put a minimum distance limit  and station seperation in rules to preclude this.

Thanks Bill W7QQ

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017, 8:41 AM Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:
>>Maybe #1 will be taken by a pair of mobile stations with HTs.  Could be a great way to see the state.

True, but it contributes nothing to what I'd have to imagine as the original intent of the award. It's similar to the often-maligned pair of grid-circling rovers that rack up contest points by working each other hundreds of times and making little or no effort to work others. Impressive scores, an interesting achievement, but a hollow victory.

AA5B/7

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 17, 2017, at 8:07 AM, Bill <bill4070@...> wrote:

Keith,

Maybe #1 will be taken by a pair of mobile stations with HTs.  Could be a great way to see the state. There'll be a fight over who gets #1 and who gets #2.

This should be fun!

Bill W7QQ

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:
...which is how it should be.  Difficult and everyone starts at the same place.

This may already be baked into the award, but I think something like this should have a special award for #1 - maybe a nice plaque, with certificates after.  Obviously numbered for the top 5 or <?> ?

#1 is certainly going to be won by someone 6M Es single-hop distance away from central NM or possibly someone living in central NM.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM, James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
OK Phil, we wanted an award that was achievable, but not trivial.  The October 1, 2017 start date was decided on so that everyone would start from scratch.

Bruce Draper

#1 is certainly going to be won by someone 6M Es single-hop distance away from central NM or possibly someone living in central NM.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM, James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
OK Phil, we wanted an award that was achievable, but not trivial.  The October 1, 2017 start date was decided on so that everyone would start from scratch.

Keith Morehouse

Hmmmm - maybe there should be separate categories for mobile & fixed stations, 'eh ?

-RM

#1 is certainly going to be won by someone 6M Es single-hop distance away from central NM or possibly someone living in central NM.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM, James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
OK Phil, we wanted an award that was achievable, but not trivial.  The October 1, 2017 start date was decided on so that everyone would start from scratch.

Jonesy W3DHJ

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017, Bdale Garbee wrote:

I haven't roved in years... my reaction on reading this, though, was to
start pondering how much fun it could be to activate all the grids in
NM as a rover... ;-)
True.
T'would be a noble effort worthy of a _complement_ award --

Worked FROM All NM Grids

73
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ | https://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __
38.238N 104.547W | jonz.net | DM78rf | 73 SK

Bill

#1 is certainly going to be won by someone 6M Es single-hop distance away from central NM or possibly someone living in central NM.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM, James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
OK Phil, we wanted an award that was achievable, but not trivial.  The October 1, 2017 start date was decided on so that everyone would start from scratch.

James Duffey

OK Phil, we wanted an award that was achievable, but not trivial. The October 1, 2017 start date was decided on so that everyone would start from scratch. W7QQ did the leg work for the award.

Not sure why you can’t open the web page. Try just < NMVHF.org > and look under operating for the award details.

DM71 is not in NM.

Thanks for your interest in the award. - Duffey

On Oct 16, 2017, at 21:34, Phil Krichbaum <vailphil@...> wrote:

James Duffey,
The October 1, 2017 start date makes this quite a challenge.

It there was no time limit, I have worked all NM grids on 6m and only need DM51, DM53, and DM73 on 2m. By the map I'm looking at I'm not sure if DM71 is in NM or not.? I'm unable to open this WEB site.
Phil N0KE DM69em
The NMVHF Society is proud to announce a new award, the Worked All New Mexico Grids award. QSOes must be made on bands above 50 MHz after October 1, 2017. Confirmation must be by QSL cards or LOTW. Details are here:

http://www.nmvhf.org/WANMG.pdf

While you are on the web page, browse the other things that the web page has to offer.
NM contains all or parts of 22 Grids. Some of these Grids have little or no VHF/UHF activity, so the award should be challenging.
Thanks to W7QQ for putting this all together. - Duffey KK6MC