6M sporadic E

KC7QY

I saw the notice a bit late but did get on just before 0200. Heard a couple of regulars from the southeast chatting on .130. Worked one station calling on .125 SSB (EM52)and then tried a CW CQ on .098. Got a reply there (EM57) but the band faded just just after we exchanged grids. Could still hear the guys on .130 but very weak by then.

Jim KC7QY

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 9:50:32 AM MST, n5epa.bob@... <n5epa.bob@...> wrote:

I worked 10 stations on 6m SSB from 0055z to 0137z. There was a few more operators heard on 50.125 but I made no effort to work them there. Path rather broad from MS in the south to WI in the north. Not sure if the band opening continued as I shut down for a phone call and then the hungries.

73, Bob N5EPA

Keith Morehouse

I have 145 DXCC on 6M and still need VK :)  I also frequently make the mistake of not actively watching 6 during the winter/spring period when the chance of TEP links is best.

It appears MOST of the VK/ZL trans-Pac DX activity is on JT65 or FT8 - at least that's how it's been the last few days.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 10:05 AM WB2FKO <mph@...> wrote:
Good advice. I will try to pay attention to 6m in the weeks ahead.  My neighbor N5JEH worked multiple stations in Australia around this time last year. -FKO

Mike WB2FKO

Good advice. I will try to pay attention to 6m in the weeks ahead.  My neighbor N5JEH worked multiple stations in Australia around this time last year. -FKO

On 12/5/18 7:04 AM, Keith Morehouse wrote:
I had my band-monitoring SDR up on the 2nd computer screen and was tipped off by the big bunch of beacons.  I saw a couple of guys on FT8, all running version 1.9 or earlier, so I don't know who they were.  I've been doing MSK144 meteor scatter so I have V2RC5 running.  I also saw a few guys on SSB, but nobody CQing.  It doesn't appear anybody is really watching the prop indicators this time of year.

The CW window, which technically is still there, is usually empty unless it's a contest weekend or the opening is so good, the QRM level above .125 is bad.  With FT8 on the scene, who knows if the QRM level will ever be high again ;)

The opening started a little before 2300Z and was still going, by the looks of the beacons, at 2340Z when I went for dinner.  We are entering the secondary Es season, so there should be increasing activity.  Be aware that this is also the PRIMARY Es season south of the equator and it's not unknown to get good enough sporadic E up here in the northern hemisphere that we can link into the south Pacific or VK/ZL regions on 6.  With low sunspot counts, the likelihood of this (TEP) is lower, but it has happened.  VK/ZL was working trans-Pacific on 6 last evening, into South America (south of the equator).

Bruce Draper

The 10 meter band was open till at least 0330Z, with lots of beacons, FT8, and SSB.

n5epa.bob@...