6 mtrs, modes

Bruce Draper

I'm about to put my 6 meter antennas up again, and have been wondering if FT8 is still all the rage or if the digital frenzy might have cooled off since last Summer. I got my answer when I checked DX Maps this morning. One of the attached maps shows just CW and SSB spots, the other is just digital. Wow.

   73,
      Bruce AA5B

Steve Hutcherson WB5CTS

You are correct Bruce!  I’m designing a mobile/P system based around my new FT-891.  Glad your hoisting them backup and will look for you from DM33. I’ll let Pete WA7JTM, N7AMA, K7jE and the other guys know here in the valley.

73 Hutch
WB5CTS
DM33VO

On May 20, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:

I'm about to put my 6 meter antennas up again, and have been wondering if FT8 is still all the rage or if the digital frenzy might have cooled off since last Summer. I got my answer when I checked DX Maps this morning. One of the attached maps shows just CW and SSB spots, the other is just digital. Wow.

   73,
      Bruce AA5B

<6mtr_cw_ssb.tiff>
<6mtr_digital.tiff>

Keith Morehouse

Yep...I fear FT8 is going to kill contesting on 6M.  This June's VHF test will be very telling.

via Moto G

On Sun, May 20, 2018, 9:38 AM Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:
I'm about to put my 6 meter antennas up again, and have been wondering if FT8 is still all the rage or if the digital frenzy might have cooled off since last Summer. I got my answer when I checked DX Maps this morning. One of the attached maps shows just CW and SSB spots, the other is just digital. Wow.

   73,
      Bruce AA5B

KC7QY

Bruce,

I just looked at DX Maps. There seems to be a pretty good Es opening in the midwest and lots of ops on SSB/CW. All is not lost to FT8. Still a LOT of FT8 activity as well though.

I caught a short SSB opening the other day and put 6 Qs in the log in about 5 minutes. Can't do that on FT8.

Jim KC7QY

I'm about to put my 6 meter antennas up again, and have been wondering if FT8 is still all the rage or if the digital frenzy might have cooled off since last Summer. I got my answer when I checked DX Maps this morning. One of the attached maps shows just CW and SSB spots, the other is just digital. Wow.

   73,
      Bruce AA5B

Jonesy W3DHJ

On Sun, 20 May 2018, Keith Morehouse wrote:

Yep...I fear FT8 is going to kill contesting on 6M.
This June's VHF test will be very telling.

-W9RM
Yup... I'll be reviewing my experiences in the ARRL JUNE VHF and
the CQ WW VHF this Summer to see whether it's worth the effort
to continue my rover excursions.

Jonesy, W3DHJ
--
<pre> Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ | https://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __ linux FreeBSD

Mike WB2FKO

FT8 was not designed to eliminate SSB on 6m, but to complement it. It's another tool in the arsenal and can be used when conditions don't support fast exchange SSB.  I operated for a couple hours this weekend and managed to make about a dozen FT8 QSOs when nothing was happening on 50.125.  Most of these QSOs involved inaudible signals (at least to my 59 year-old ears) with marginal conditions that are typical for this time of year.  Propagation was short-lived and erratic, but I never needed more than 90 seconds to get the needed information through.  45 seconds usually did the trick.  According to his QRZ page, I worked a guy in Ohio who was running low-power to an attic dipole.

If contest operators elect to use FT8 when propagation supports SSB, that's an unwise decision that will hurt their score.  I simply can't believe the contest community stops using SSB when 6m is wide-open as it usually is in June.  It makes no sense.

CW could be a different story.  My hunch is that FT8 or similar mode will eventually displace cw in marginal conditions.  It's more sensitive, far more reliable, and doesn't depend of the skill of the two operators which is sometimes incompatible.  When someone is CQ'ing at 30 wpm, I simply don't possess the ability to copy and reply.

Mike WB2FKO