Re: 2020 JAN VHF

Jay

I know I sent you a direct message Duffey, but I too agree that this was an excellent write up.  It is a travesty that this information is NOT included in the print version of QST.  A wealth of information and a lot of great data showing positive activity trends and band/mode utilization.  Great summaries like this NEED to be out in the public eye to generate more activity for all of us to benefit from.

Well done my man.   Coffee or drink of choice on me at Yuma 2021!  (Fingers crossed).

 - Jay N1AV

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the comments and they are well received here. Some times when I get bogged down writing these things I get discouraged and comments like yours make it all worthwhile.

I wanted to write a bit on how the use of FT8 has changed the contest, but I realized that I could not do that without writing about the history of the contest and how it has changed over the years. So, that was how that all came about.

When I first started roving I spent a long time studying various VHF propagation modes, particularly with regards to contesting. That led me to Joe’s article on using scatter to make more contacts at greater distances in the VHF contests. That article, though quantitative, still contains information that is useful today. Anyway, looking at past contest results as part of that I found the picture of 16 year old Joe and how he and his brother really changed VHF contesting. I filed that away for future use and that time finally came. It all fits together nicely, puts WSJT into perspective, and I think most importantly, it shows that it is not a recent development, but is obviously a result of Joe’s early experience in contesting.

With the quarantine at ARRL HQ, finding a copy of the picture suitable for the article turned out to be an effort for the editors.

Again, thanks for the kind words. - Duffey