Re: 2020 JAN VHF

James Duffey

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the comments and they are well received here. Some times when I get bogged down writing these things I get discouraged and comments like yours make it all worthwhile.

I wanted to write a bit on how the use of FT8 has changed the contest, but I realized that I could not do that without writing about the history of the contest and how it has changed over the years. So, that was how that all came about.

When I first started roving I spent a long time studying various VHF propagation modes, particularly with regards to contesting. That led me to Joe’s article on using scatter to make more contacts at greater distances in the VHF contests. That article, though quantitative, still contains information that is useful today. Anyway, looking at past contest results as part of that I found the picture of 16 year old Joe and how he and his brother really changed VHF contesting. I filed that away for future use and that time finally came. It all fits together nicely, puts WSJT into perspective, and I think most importantly, it shows that it is not a recent development, but is obviously a result of Joe’s early experience in contesting.

With the quarantine at ARRL HQ, finding a copy of the picture suitable for the article turned out to be an effort for the editors.

Again, thanks for the kind words. - Duffey

On Jul 8, 2020, at 09:02, Mike H <mph@sportscliche.com> wrote:

The historical reference to Joe Taylor and his brother along with VHF contests of the past was excellent!

Mike WB2FKO

On 7/8/20 9:19 AM, James Duffey wrote:
Thanks Jonesy.

On Jul 8, 2020, at 06:46, Jonesy W3DHJ via groups.io <mailserver=jonz.net@groups.io> wrote:
Duffey,

That was one hell of a write-up you did for the 2020 ARRL JAN VHF!
I can't even imagine the amount of time and effort that you put
into that!

I thank you. I'm sure we all thank you.
Good on you, mate!

73
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ | https://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __ linux FreeBSD
38.238N 104.547W | jonz.net | DM78rf | 73 SK