Re: FM simplex during VHF contests

James Duffey

John - In my experience FM QSOs around Albuquerque are kind of hit or miss, unless you can catch someone on simplex and break in on their QSO.  I have had luck calling CQ on 146.52 and 146.58 (better luck), but this past contest I didn’t work anyone that way. In more than one contest, I have returned to the Albuquerque area a bit before the contest ended and called CQ on FM after I had picked up the few SSB stations I have not worked earlier. One year I worked about a dozen QSOs that way.

One thing to do when asking stations of they have any other bands after they have said no, I ask not even FM and get a few QSOs that way. For example, stations with 6M only SSB/CW capability usually have 2M or 440 FM and they can often be persuaded to QSY to those bands for a few QSO points.

Jim, KC7QY has also scared up some FM activity for me in Socorro from guys who did not have SSB/CW.

I have had more success working FM by calling CQ on simplex in the Phoenix and El Paso regions. With two ops, one driving, it is possible to work FM in the bigger metropolitan areas while driving through. Still not a lot of QSOs though.

If you do work FM stations at long distances, they are often weak and can be more easily copied with the squelch off.

The ARRL kind of killed off FM contesting, at least away from the populous areas, when, for a long time,  they prohibited QSOs on 146.52, the national calling frequency. They are trying to bring it back with the SOFM category.

 Sorry this is a bit late, but I hope it helps. - Duffey KK6MC

On Jun 19, 2020, at 17:58, John Klem <klemjf@...> wrote:

Thank you all for the info and good advice.  Seems worth a try next time I'm out but not too far from civilization.

John AA5PR