SK

Arne N7KA

Thanks to Ed, N5JEH, for alerting me that Stan, W5ZF, became a silent key on 22 January 2020.  Calls to the known home phone result in a recording stating the phone has been temporarily disconnected.   Ed has not been able to get any additional info and there is no known contact info to any family members.  If anyone knows of additional information please post it to the NMVHFS groups

Stan was very active on 6M and was often referred to as the Albuquerque 6M beacon by Lance, W7GJ.  If there  was an opening on 6M Stan was probably one of the first in the ABQ area to know of it.  Stan never ran more that 100W to a pair of M2INC HO LOOPS however he had a number of JA stations in his log and approximately 45 entities worked.  Stan completed WAS on 6M several years ago. He had worked Remi, FK8CE, a number of years before I was able to do the same.  Stan was an excellent CW op, his preferred operating mode.  Stan was a long time DXer and past member of the Albuquerque DX Association and had achieved DXCC Honor Roll.  Stan was first licensed as W6BCT in the Los Angeles, CA in Nov 1947.  He was a member of A1-OPR club.  His  biography on QRZ.COM has additional  information.

I  am sure many of us will miss his presence on 6M.

RIP Stan

Arne N7KA
Secretary, NMVHFS