[VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal

Keith Morehouse

..my reply.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jay RM <w9rm@...>
Date: Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal
To: vhfcontesting@... <VHFcontesting@...>

I think FT8 is a fine mode for weak signal DXing and I have been using it on and off, but I don't really care for it and won't seriously participate in VHF contests if that's what I have to use on 6M to work anybody.  Why ?  Because I AM a contester - that's been pretty much 90% of my ham radio operating for 45+ years - and I'm relatively good at it.  When I see operating tactics (or mode choices) that slows down your run rate, being happily embraced by others who say they are contesters, I'm confused...and disappointed.  If serious HF contests were multi-mode and FT8 was decimating the CW (or phone) bands during, say, Sweepstakes, you would see instant action and I guarantee it would not be kind to WSJT.

As far as conjuring up tricks like giving extra contest points for being on the mode you should be on anyway, that is ONLY going to encourage the "real contesters" to get back on SSB or CW - not the masses.  The masses represent 90%+ of the contacts we make in a contest and the vast majority of them don't care what their score is.

Bottom line, if FT8 or FT4 is the only mode going on 6M, my grid is off the table and has become instantly rare unless someone roves to it - I'm the only guy here. . .