Re: [azvhf] [NEWSVHF] Fwd: [Packrats] FT4 and FT8 Contesting

James Duffey

This is good reading and useful information.

The first point, learning to use the alternate F1-F6 bindings, is also good for QSYing stations to other bands. - Duffey

On Feb 26, 2020, at 08:07, Jay <whereisjay@...> wrote:

This is worth a read.
Especially as more and more users are discovering that they can take part in VHF contests by using the digital modes.
Here is what I think is the most important part of the PDF.

As a general set of guidelines for logging in FT4/FT8 contests we recommend the following:
  • In WSJT-X, activate and learn to use the Alternate F1-F6 bindings selectable on the Settings | General tab.

  • Always log a QSO when you have received RRR, RR73, or 73 from a station you are working.

  • Log a QSO when you send RR73 if you are reasonably confident it will be copied. But be sure to watch for any indication that it was not copied, and then take appropriate action. For example, if you receive the Tx3 message (R plus contest exchange) again, hit F4 to re-send your RR73.

- Jay, N1AV

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 09:36:29 -0500
From: Joe Taylor <joe@...>
To: 'Pack Rats Reflector' <packrats@...>

Log checking for several recent contests that used the FT4 and FT8 modes
has shown undesirably large numbers of claimed QSOs that receive
not-in-log ("NIL") status from the other station.  The WSJT development
team has worked together with contest sponsors and log checkers to
analyze the probable causes of these NILs.  Our findings and some
operating advice for future contests are posted here:
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FT4_FT8_Contesting.pdf
and will also appear in the May-June 2020 issue of NCJ, the National
Contest Journal.

      73 from the authors of the study:

     Steve Franke, K9AN
     Don Hill, AA5AU