Re: need help with vhf/uhf demo

Bruce Draper

The meeting went very well. Very smart kids, supportive parents. Their main interest was emergency communications, but we covered a lot of other ground. We talked about HF, VHF, UHF. Listened to ssb, cw, rtty, ft8. Showed them everything from battery powered HTs and QRP HF rigs to 1.5 kW desktop setups. Even had a mobile station in the driveway, and generator-powered setup outside. I think we might have a couple new hams soon ;-)

   -Bruce AA5B

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 8:29 PM Bruce Draper via Groups.Io <bruceaa5b=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was contacted by a teacher/coach of a small group of kids who would like to hear more about ham radio, and especially emergency comm stuff. They're 10-11 years old and part of a home-schooled robotics team. I can show them HF, CW, phone, RTTY, both fixed and mobile (and portable with the generator), antennas, etc. But she also specifically mentioned "walkie talkies, emergencies, and Red Cross." Can any of you come to my house in Los Ranchos in the next several days and bring an HT and/or some mobile setup for show and tell with these kids?

   -Bruce AA5B