Re: DM86 - June and July VHF contests

John Klem

Jonesy -

I suggest you take a look at your candidate locations using heywhatsthat.com, which will generate panoramas showing your horizon.  You'll be in the neighborhood of some pretty significant peaks.  You might want to check these out to see if they are blocking directions you hope to point.

I believe Duffey likes Capulin Volcano in that area, at least for looking south.  I haven't been there myself, only quite a bit further east in DM86.  I will say that it can be a bit too quiet in that area unless you get a good opening.  I typically gravitate toward areas with horizons of about 1 degree or less all around, but finding a spot with a negative horizon to at least one population center could be a better strategy.

John AA5PR

On 2/3/2020 4:02 PM, Jonesy W3DHJ via Groups.Io wrote:

At the risk of losing my Black Belt In Procrastination [*], I am toying with the idea of including DM86 in my Rover route in the June, and probably July, VHF contests.

So I am soliciting suggestions and comments from those of you in The Land Of Enchantment -- who might have experience with the location I natter on about below.

In going over paper maps and Google Maps, it looks like a good choice for a site would be south of Branson, Colo. on CO 389 -- which becomes NM 551 at the border. Specifically, it is a Good DM86 Site for me to get to from Pueblo AND also include the other S.E. Colorado Grids I want to activate. (i.e., my "usual" grids)

If you zoom in once, you'll see where the railroad and the highway cross the border is called Emory Gap. A "gap" does NOT sound like a Great Place for a Rover location.

Zooming back out once and you see a place called "Negro Mesa" to the ESE. . I believe it may be the "butte" I see from the roadside - below:

It's definitely ranch country  --  I see cattle in some of the zoomed views I've done.

Surprisingly there is a "Google Street View"   Actually 2: one from 2008 and one from 2012.

At MM 6 on NM 551 I see steel gates at dirt tracks on both the east and west side -- probably both padlocked with a chain. That's what the little sign said: "6".  But it can't be even a mile south of the border -- and. in the other direction, it must be over 10 miles from the junction of NM 456.  (Maybe miles are "different" in NM.  HI!HI!)

The best spot I could locate by driving "street view" seems to be a little futher south at:

... if I park up on the bank next to the road -- by the fence -- I would seen to have an acceptable horizon all-way-round.

After operating at the north edge of DM86, I would pull back over the edge of DM87 and attempt to hand out that grid to the NMVHF contesters -- and whoever else...  Then I would trek on up towards the 4 corners of DM87-DM88-DM77-DM78 and contest as Rover for the rest of the weekend(s) from there.

And, yes, I know the Colorado/New Mexico border is not necessarily located exactly on the 37th parallel from Kansas to Utah.

Comments?  Even something like, "DON'T GO THERE!" would be useful.

[*]
I don't actually HAVE the black belt for procrastination.
The ceremony keeps being postponed...

73
Jonesy W3DHJ
https://W3DHJ.net/