Tom
N7GP
Tom

Sender: main@nmvhf.groups.io
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:49:29 -0700
To: <main@nmvhf.groups.io>
ReplyTo: main@nmvhf.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nmvhf] from DM63

...a LOT of evidence.  And no, there was no reported sporadic E.  I talked to 'DRH later in the day and he verified it was meteors.  1100 miles is at the high end of what I consider the M/S 'sweet spot' distance of 900-1100 miles, where two decently equipped station can make contact pretty much 12-18 hours a day.

This is the same distance where two WELL equipped stations (running KW into 4-5+ elements) can connect on ionoscatter during most of the day.  If you're persistent on 6, you don't need no steekin' Es...

The practical limit for M/S is somewhere between 1300-1500 miles, same as Es - this is single "hop", of course.  You may note that the 2M M/S record is MUCH farther then that, which has had many people, me included, sceptical for years.  But, that's a conversation for another time.

-W9RM

Keith Morehouse
via MotoG

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020, 11:14 AM James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
Don’t know about Es yesterday morning, but most of the meteor ionization is at the same altitude as the E layer, so the distances involved would be about the same.

There is some evidence, although far from conclusive, and lots of conjecture, that the ions in the E layer contributing to Es are the result of meteors. - Duffey

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 10:51, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:
>
> Was there also some Es happening ?
>
> 73,
> Steve, N2IC
>
>> On 01/16/2020 10:22 AM, Keith Morehouse wrote:
>> K2DRH in EN41 was also calling Bruce, but was running very low power due to antenna icing.  That's probably close to 1000 miles.  Nice job from a portable setup.
>> I was watching PSKREPORTER while Bruce was CQing and he was getting reported as far away as Alabama.
>> -W9RM
>> Keith Morehouse
>> via MotoG
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020, 10:13 AM Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@... <mailto:bruceaa5b@...>> wrote:
>>     >> Can you give us details on your best DX?
>>    Looks like EM48, St Louis area, >800 miles.
>
>
>

Join main@nmvhf.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.