From: "Keith Morehouse" <w9rm@...>
Sender: main@nmvhf.groups.io
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:49:29 -0700
To: <main@nmvhf.groups.io>
ReplyTo: main@nmvhf.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nmvhf] from DM63

...a LOT of evidence.  And no, there was no reported sporadic E.  I talked to 'DRH later in the day and he verified it was meteors.  1100 miles is at the high end of what I consider the M/S 'sweet spot' distance of 900-1100 miles, where two decently equipped station can make contact pretty much 12-18 hours a day.

This is the same distance where two WELL equipped stations (running KW into 4-5+ elements) can connect on ionoscatter during most of the day.  If you're persistent on 6, you don't need no steekin' Es...

The practical limit for M/S is somewhere between 1300-1500 miles, same as Es - this is single "hop", of course.  You may note that the 2M M/S record is MUCH farther then that, which has had many people, me included, sceptical for years.  But, that's a conversation for another time.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020, 11:14 AM James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
Don’t know about Es yesterday morning, but most of the meteor ionization is at the same altitude as the E layer, so the distances involved would be about the same.

There is some evidence, although far from conclusive, and lots of conjecture, that the ions in the E layer contributing to Es are the result of meteors. - Duffey