Re: DM63

Keith Morehouse

To get any kind of efficiency on M/S, you really need to be out beyond 450-500 miles.  That's been my minimum distance cut-off for contest schedules for many years.  So, the farther, the better.  Being able to elevate is the biggest advantage when close in.

BUT, from DM58, I have made dozens of 6M scatter contacts in the 250-400 miles range.  These have been with well equipped stations (500W, 5+ ele antennas) and with mobiles/rovers running anything from whips to 2-3 element beams.  I've worked George, KF2T, all through NV when he's been running nothing more than a halo and 100W.  I don't know what kind of scatter some of these Q's were.  Some appeared to be traditional M/S, with occasional short pings.  Some had longer bursts and flutter-type sounds.  Some were troposcatter - constant, fluttery, weak but easily copied by WSJT.  Because of the short range of most of these Q's, I doubt the major propagation mode were meteors, but the Q was made and logged.

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 9:06 PM Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:
Would it help the meteor scatter possibilities if it was done from T or C, 70
miles farther from W9RM ?

73,
Steve, N2IC