Re: Multi band Transverter (2m-23cm)

James Duffey

I think the one Watt would be useful under many circumstances. During the January  contest in AZ, I work a lot of SOTA guys who use 222, 902, and/or 1296 handie talkies at FM power levels of a Watt or so, out to distances of 75 to 100 miles or so.  SSB/CW should be a big improvement SNR wise to those guys as well as increasing scores. Also, the one Watt should be good for communications between the Moriarty convergence and Albuquerque or Santa Fe as an example, and also between your QTH And Grand Mesa. If the three band stations I work in Albuquerque and Santa Fe had one Watt capability on those bands my score would increase significantly.

Granted 5 or 10Watts on those bands would be better, but just having the capability is a major step forward and useful in and of itself.

I will refrain from commenting on how useful this would be for rovers who grid circle.  -Duffey

On Nov 15, 2019, at 10:32, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:

Probably not at an output power that would be usable, stand-alone.  Most broadband high power gain blocks are limited to maybe a few watts.  The higher power modules DEMI and Q5 Signal use in the current crop of transverters are relatively narrow band.  Even the power amps in the "all-band" transceivers available today won't work very well above about 500 MHz.  100W class SSPA's are pretty cheap and could be cheaper if you add your own T/R switching, which, of course, increases the complexity.

I'm pretty sure this device would blow away any current "all band" radio in RX performance and they are targeting a $500 price point !  $500 for good performance on FIVE bands above 50 MHz, plus automatic band-switching (with the proper IF radio), referenced locked stability and built-in sequencer to run those outboard PA's.  All in one relatively little box.

I know what the inside of MY rover-mobile looks like with all those bands running through individual boxes !   This would go a long way to cleaning it up.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 9:00 AM Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:
Yep, looks good. But this plug-and-play appliance operator would still like a single box that covers those bands and has good output power. Probably not gonna happen.

Bruce AA5B/3 in FM28

On Nov 15, 2019, at 10:18 AM, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:

Interesting new product from Downeast Microwave.  With the addition of a few medium power amplifier bricks and a IF radio capable of 6M, this would make a really nice, compact Rover setup.