Re: DM95

James Duffey

I was referring to the Olathe-Amarillo path. Tropo losses rise steeply beyond 300 miles. Six and two are not too different with respect to the plot below. Meteor scatter starts to overcome tropo at about 350 miles, depending on station capability. WSJT-X helps, but at those distances MSK144 is probably better than FT8 or FT4 for that path. Typical modest station capability on 2M is about 200dB, less on 6M roughly by the difference in antenna gains.

The difference in large part is due to the height of the scattering media; for troposatter it is about 35,000 ft or below, for meteor scatter is it 60 miles or so. - Duffey

On Sep 13, 2019, at 13:42, Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net> wrote:

Albuquerque-to-Amarillo: 269 miles. Once you get over the Sandia's, it's a mostly downhill-to-flat path.

Olathe-to-Amarillo: 410 miles.

For reference, My QTH in DM52XT to Santa Fe is 240 miles. Can work W7QQ on 6 and 2.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 09/13/2019 10:29 AM, Arne N7KA wrote:
I am hearing him and decoding.
Arne N7KA
On September 13, 2019 at 10:20 AM Ed <n5jeh@centurylink.net> wrote:

MSK 144 would work better for that distance with no other propagation to help. Just MHO

*ED N5JEH DM65RD *