Re: W9RM CQWW-VHF

Keith Morehouse

Sounds like you've got a good system.

I need to work DM63 for my last NM grid.  It's too close for E skip, but it's do-able on scatter with enough power on the DM63 end.  Using one of the WSJTX modes with their better S/N, makes it even more likely.  It can also be effective any time of year, meaning one doesn't need to focus on those 3 months of potential sporadic E.

If you can put 100W on the air using MSK144 or FT8, I'll bet we could complete.  I'll also bet I'm not the only guy who needs that grid.  Morning meteor scatter at that power with 4 elements gives you 1000 mile capability.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019, 6:58 AM Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:
I operated on 6 for just a little while on Saturday in the spaces between dog class, shopping, yard work, and volleyball practice. But as others have pointed out, conditions were bad and few QSOs were made.

On Sunday morning I finished working on a 6-meter portable yagi that I’d started building on Friday, so I threw some gear in the truck and drove to a nice spot in DM64. It takes literally less than 2 minutes to take the yagi out of the vehicle, assemble it, and get it in the air. Another 2 minutes to start the generator and be on the air. With the better conditions, I worked a dozen stations from ABQ to SoCal while running only 15 Watts and the antenna at only 6 feet. SSB only, didn’t take the laptop for FT8. Didn’t stay out there long — it was just a test run, and it started raining not long after I arrived. But I at least demonstrated that I now have a portable station that I can use on the spur of the moment. BTW, electrically the antenna is a 4-el YU7EF design, but I mutated it to a snap-together PVC and wire affair. Seems to have a great pattern and good gain.

   -Bruce AA5B

On Sunday, July 21, 2019, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:
Wow...what a difference a few hundred miles makes.  After seeing some comments stations not that far back east, I feel like I was in a different country for this contest.