Re: W9RM CQWW-VHF

Bruce Draper

I operated on 6 for just a little while on Saturday in the spaces between dog class, shopping, yard work, and volleyball practice. But as others have pointed out, conditions were bad and few QSOs were made.

On Sunday morning I finished working on a 6-meter portable yagi that I’d started building on Friday, so I threw some gear in the truck and drove to a nice spot in DM64. It takes literally less than 2 minutes to take the yagi out of the vehicle, assemble it, and get it in the air. Another 2 minutes to start the generator and be on the air. With the better conditions, I worked a dozen stations from ABQ to SoCal while running only 15 Watts and the antenna at only 6 feet. SSB only, didn’t take the laptop for FT8. Didn’t stay out there long — it was just a test run, and it started raining not long after I arrived. But I at least demonstrated that I now have a portable station that I can use on the spur of the moment. BTW, electrically the antenna is a 4-el YU7EF design, but I mutated it to a snap-together PVC and wire affair. Seems to have a great pattern and good gain.

   -Bruce AA5B

On Sunday, July 21, 2019, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:
Wow...what a difference a few hundred miles makes.  After seeing some comments stations not that far back east, I feel like I was in a different country for this contest.

_._,_._,_