K5TA VHF test

Scott K5TA

After a few years “roving” from county to county in the NMQP, I decided it would be cool to try real VHF roving.  I almost made it, but time ran out before I was able to fashion a vehicle infrastructure suitable for the antennas I have.  So, for last weekend, I set up a “rover simulator” on my east yard, (in world’s worst VHF QTH, along the river bottom buried in the cottonwoods).

Everything worked perfectly, and my new IC-9700 really performed well.  I was chicken, however, so whenever I transmitted, I disconnected all the antennas for the *other* bands.  Not that it really affected my score, since the activity on 144 and 432 was pretty thin.  Didn’t really need to rx on main and sub receivers simultaneously.  Never managed to find a single Q on 1296.

Not a serious or full-time effort in any way – mainly a “teaching moment” – self-education.

Nice to work Duffey at all of his stops (but not exactly all band/stops).

Onward and upward for future events.

-Scott K5TA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10