Re: Pointing Antennas - Car or Rotator?

Keith Morehouse

The majority of rovers use this system - it is mechanically easier and doesn't require either a 12V DC rotor system or a DC/AC inverter to run a classic rotor system.  Back east, height above ground is not much of an issue.  Around here, I feel it's better to have as much elevation as possible, so a rotatable mast is, IMO, a better choice.  I'm not a rover pro but I've done my share and the top of my mast can be up to 25' above the bed of a 1 ton truck.  I still use 'armstrong' rotation but would go with a rotor if I got more serious.

The loudest current USA Rover, AC0RA/r, also subscribes to the 'higher is better' system and uses a 25-30' telescopic pole with rotation on 6 through 432.

If I were building the system in that picture and was worrying about weight, I might use fiberglass tubing instead of PVC plumbing pipe.  Fiberglass tubing is easily available now.

-W9RM / W0VOA/r

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 7:23 AM Alden Oyer <atoyer@...> wrote:
This antenna support structure, made of pvc tubing, was on KF8QL’s vehicle at the Hamvention last week. Antennas range from 144 MHz to 3.4 GHz. My question to you is “What are the pros and cons of pointing the car to aim the antennas instead using a rotor to aim them?”
Is there a better material for the structure than pvc?

Good luck in the VHF/UHF contest in a few weeks.

Alden Oyer, AG5S