Re: Icom 9700?

Bill

Good observation Bob. Freq stability and precision are pretty important, and easy to achieve. The technology took giant leaps during the development cycle of the 9700 and I wonder if Icom just got caught “out of step” on that issue. Should become an aftermarket opportunity for companies with shorter development spans.

Still, it’s a good time to be a VHF’r.

One thing to keep an eye on for those interested in emerging capabilities is Downeast Microwave’s multi band transverters. They’re leveraging frequency agile PLLs and other technology to achieve that. Check their website for new design notes outlining their efforts.

Bill W7QQ

On May 16, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:

For those of you willing to take the plunge, the price dropped to a little under $1900 today (DXE, GigaParts, etc.).

On Thursday, May 16, 2019, Alden Oyer <atoyer@...> wrote:
Thanks Bob,

Maybe I’ll wait a while.

73 de Alden, AG5S

On May 15, 2019, at 23:16, redarlington <rdarlington@...> wrote:

I'd read up on the moon-net list about this one.  The big themes have been that Icom completely missed the mark on the 10MHz input on back (used only to do manual calibrations), it drifts in digital modes, and is overall not suited for EME work.

-Bob N3XKB

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 6:05 PM Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:
With Dayton discounts sure to come in the next day or two, I’ve been wondering about the IC9700. In its short life, has it had a good reputation among the VHF/UHF gang?

I’m curious about something else... is there a good technical reason it doesn’t cover the 6-meter band?

   -Bruce AA5B