Re: Question: foliage, vhf

Mike WB2FKO

Interesting to note that W7GJ has carved out a patch of Montana forest for his VHF aluminum:

Lots of foliage there.

On May 4, 2019, at 10:49 AM, lewisre@... wrote:

I would suggest a series of tests with other 6 meter stations first.  Also if possible you might compare performance  with 10 and 2 meters.

Dick, K5RHR, DM65uv

On 2019-05-03 13:20, Bruce Draper wrote:

I put up my 6-mtr yagi antenna this morning, but now I'm thinking about moving it. It's on a tripod on my roof, about 30 feet off the ground (good) but only 15 feet from and directly pointed into dense cottonwood trees (bad?). I don't think it matters much on HF, but I'm guessing that it's not great on 6 meters (and much worse on UHF). There are a couple other places on the flat roof where I could put it, but the best one is directly above the radio room and I bet there will be RFI problems on both RX and TX.

My question to you VHF experts: Is the absorption on 50 MHz by trees bad enough to make me want to move the antenna?

   -Bruce AA5B