Re: W9RM January VHF

Michael Daly

Who knows how entrenched.  For me I put sports up there with the sonic boom gap as an item of importance.  But every other of my buddies at Saturday breakfast follow football like a teenager follows short skirts.  Keep it there or move it, no matter to me.

Mike, n5sj

From: nmvhf@groups.io [mailto:nmvhf@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike WB2FKO
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:27 AM
To: nmvhf@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nmvhf] W9RM January VHF

How entrenched is the tradition of having the ARRL January VHF contest on AFC/NFC championship weekend?  There is no ideal date that going to work for everyone, but it seems to make a lot of sense to move it closer (or into) the Christmas holidays. The nastiest weather always seems to be around late January too. My hunch is that the majority demographic of contest participants would be OK with a change. Although my hunches are usually wrong. -WB2FKO

On 1/21/19 3:09 PM, Keith Morehouse wrote:

From what I remember, the January contest started because a couple of eastern VHF clubs (Pack Rats, Mt Airy, ect) wanted a event to get guys out winter mountain-topping.   It was scheduled in January to take advantage of the seasonal minor peak in sporadic E that is normally centered on the northern hemisphere winter solstice.  Why it's so late in January has probably been lost to history.

There are VHF single band Sprints in the spring, which are a blast, if you're in tropo country.  Out here, they are usually worse then the January test because you only have one band worth of noise to listen to.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 1:56 PM Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

Glad I wasn't the only one with an amp issue. I have a decrepit SB-220,
converted to 6 meters only. Started hearing a rapid tick-tick-tick sound in the
receiver late on Saturday. New local QRN ? Very local - inside the amplifier.
Something going on in the power supply. Date code on electrolytics is 1979. It's
time, along with new resistors and diodes.

W5UHF was very strong on 6 meter FT8. Solid S5 on the meter.

Why isn't there a springtime contest on VHF/UHF ? Or would it be as
propagation-free as January ?

73,
Steve, N2IC
DM52XT