Re: W9RM January VHF

James Duffey

A quick search of the QST archives shows that in the early 60s the January contest was held on the first or second weekend on January, certainly a better date than we currently have. Suggestions to swap the RTTY Roundup and the January VHF contest dates have been around a long time and would be beneficial to 6M activity I think. The current situation is better than when it was held on the NFL bye week as that was usually the 160M contest, which took a lot of HF contesters out of the VHF contest.

Bring this up to your elected ARRL representatives. When you go to an ARRL forum at a ham fest bring this up. After the bewildered look on the ARRL official’s face dies off your will have to explain yourself. When the official says he will take the suggestion back to Newington, ask the official to get back to you about what happens then.

On Jan 22, 2019, at 11:26, Mike WB2FKO <mph@...> wrote:

How entrenched is the tradition of having the ARRL January VHF contest on AFC/NFC championship weekend?  There is no ideal date that going to work for everyone, but it seems to make a lot of sense to move it closer (or into) the Christmas holidays. The nastiest weather always seems to be around late January too. My hunch is that the majority demographic of contest participants would be OK with a change. Although my hunches are usually wrong. -WB2FKO

On 1/21/19 3:09 PM, Keith Morehouse wrote:
From what I remember, the January contest started because a couple of eastern VHF clubs (Pack Rats, Mt Airy, ect) wanted a event to get guys out winter mountain-topping.   It was scheduled in January to take advantage of the seasonal minor peak in sporadic E that is normally centered on the northern hemisphere winter solstice.  Why it's so late in January has probably been lost to history.

There are VHF single band Sprints in the spring, which are a blast, if you're in tropo country.  Out here, they are usually worse then the January test because you only have one band worth of noise to listen to.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 1:56 PM Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:
Glad I wasn't the only one with an amp issue. I have a decrepit SB-220,
converted to 6 meters only. Started hearing a rapid tick-tick-tick sound in the
receiver late on Saturday. New local QRN ? Very local - inside the amplifier.
Something going on in the power supply. Date code on electrolytics is 1979. It's
time, along with new resistors and diodes.

W5UHF was very strong on 6 meter FT8. Solid S5 on the meter.

Why isn't there a springtime contest on VHF/UHF ? Or would it be as
propagation-free as January ?

73,
Steve, N2IC
DM52XT