Re: Horizontal Polarization for VHF/UHF DX

Daniel Fay

Bill,

Thanks for your response. I think I will test out both horizontal and vertical polarization when I get the chance. Right now, I'm trying to finish up the basic long-distance tests so that I can submit a paper to the ARRL/TAPR DCC conference (it's in ABQ September 14-16, and the paper deadline is at the end of July). I also have an STA from the FCC to do up to 50W on 70cm for this work (the modulation technique is a form of spread spectrum, and amateur spread spectrum communications are limited to 10W by the FCC). Unfortunately, the modules I'm currently using don't let me access the RSSI information on the transceiver chips, so I'm not going to be able to get precise results for horizontal vs. vertical polarization. Eventually I hope to try a different module that gives me low-level access to the transceiver chip.

Hopefully, I'll at least make some progress and put up my 15-element 70cm Yagi this weekend.

-Dan Fay KG5VBY in ABQ