Re: 10GHz beacon project

Paul Probert

Bob,
  Hi, Paul Probert here.  I've been looking for a 10 GHz beacon to help with lining up and testing a 10 GHz station I'm putting together here in ABQ. So I'm glad to hear you are working on one up there in Los Alamos.  Maybe we can collaborate.  One of my neighbors used to do some work on the commercial antennas up on Sandia Crest and maybe he'd suggest somebody to talk to about getting permission to mount a beacon up there and give us some power to plug into.
  On the precision of the slots on your omni antenna I'm not sure but in my experience things like that work acceptably well without requiring super high precision.
   To build an omni one idea is to make some kind of disc-cone antenna.  Wouldn't need to be much but a couple copper cones mounted on the end of a piece of .141 inch hard line.  It would end up being vertically polarized.
   At the moment I have a VNA that can be used to check the SWR of any such antennas at X band.
   Did you have something in mind for your signal source?  For my station I've put together a synthesized source based on a YIG oscillator and a Rubidium reference.  Waay overkill for a beacon.  But I think there are a few synthesizer chips available these days with built in VCO's that might be acceptable.

Paul Probert