Re: FT8 in contests

KC7QY

Bob,

I think the fact that RTTY contesting has moved to FT8 only reinforces the fact that the conventional modes as waning in favor of WSJT. But, the comparison is flawed in this case because there is not a higher rate mode available in RTTY contesting as is the case of FT8 vs SSB or even CW. FT8 in a RTTY contest also lacks the ability to move mults to different bands due to the limitations in message length discussed in the Cheese Bits article.

Of more importance to us out in the VHF desert might be the coordinated activity time concept. It would be nice if we had a better idea of when local stations might be running on the higher frequencies. I had my 2M rig running the entire time I was on during the June test and heard/worked exactly two stations.

Jim KC7QY

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 12:10:09 PM MDT, redarlington <rdarlington@...> wrote:

I have some mixed feelings here.   A good buddy of mine (KB1IKC) has a high score for RTTY RU here in NM.  https://contests.arrl.org/certgen.php?mode=jpeg&id=538074&call=KB1IKC

He has never made a RTTY contact that I'm aware of.  He was 100% FT8.

-Bob

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 11:44 AM Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:
This packrats newsletter (attached) has some discussion on FTx in VHF/UHF contests, along with some proposals for making the most of the situation. IMO, a small bandaid on a gaping wound, but at least they’re trying.

Bruce AA5B