Re: VHF contest experiences?

John Klem

Saturday was a pretty good day.  I was able to work quite a few in all directions on 6 m FT8 from the DM56/66 line south of Bloomfield, then moved to just DM66 for more.  I had a few SSB QSOs to 6 land in the evening, but despite huge signals just couldn't sustain that.

I came home, got 4 hours sleep, and then drove to the DM85/86 line between Tucumcari and Clayton for a late start Sunday.  Things were much tougher there, with marginal conditions on 6 m and almost no cell service.  I was informed by a polite but humorless rancher that the first spot I operated from, which I thought was a county road, was a private road.  The second spot was right next to power lines that were somewhat noisy.  To top it off, my 6 m antenna developed an electrical problem (that I haven't yet had the right combination of time and courage to fully investigate) that required me to quit in the late afternoon.

I had zero QSOs above 6 m, which is a real problem considering the additional effort required to carry antennas for 2 and 432.  So I will be addressing that one way or another in future contests.

161 QSO points, 83 multipliers, 13,363 points, give or take.

John, AA5PR/R

On 6/18/2021 6:24 AM, Bruce Draper wrote:
Several of you went out roving or expeditioning for the contest last weekend (WØAMT, N7GP, AA5PR, KK6MC, ...), and probably others operated from home. How'd it go?

    -Bruce AA5B/3