Re: ARRL VHF test "3 BAND" category

Bob Norton

I need to address some maintenance issues to get me back on the VHF/UHF track. But, I for one would be most interested in a 3 band High Power category. Have found my niche on 3 Band but it would be nice to boost the ERP. Unfortunately limited to 50W on 432 by regulation, but with a new class I then could use full output of my 2 meter 170W brick amp and be incentivized to pursue more 2 meter output. Have 2 amps capable of 1K on 6 meters, shame not to use such.

With those of us scattered about the Rocky Mountain / Southwest wide open spaces with fixed stations 3 Band High Power would be ideal, IMO.

73, Bob N5EPA

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 9:03 AM Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:
I think it's humorous that a lot of folks still think there is a HIGH POWER category as a subset of the 3 BAND class.

But, it brings up a question.  I, personally, would be all over a category like 3 BAND HIGH POWER.  3 band is a natural for where I live and, already having amplifiers to compete in the traditional high-power class (the big-boy class....wink wink nudge nudge), I'm not going to put them aside and take the BIG hit out here in the wilderness of trying to work "locals" 200 miles away with 100W on 432 or, our bread and butter 6M scatter with low power.

What do others think about petitioning the CAC to add a HIGH POWER subcategory to 3 BAND ?  It certainly wouldn't diminish the traditional (it's been around long enough that I can call it that) 3 band class - it gives people the choice, just like the all-band categories.  But, it WOULD open up, in my opinion, pretty intense competition for a BUNCH of guys who know they CAN NOT win the regular high power class which is pretty much dominated by one or two stations, time after time after time.  I'm not denigrating the skill and engineering talent required to pull off a top all band high power station - I salute that.  But, unless you live in a very select area of the country, with plenty of stations to work above 1296 MHz, all the gear and skill in the world will do you no good.

I would welcome a 3 BAND HIGH POWER category and I believe it just might invigorate my rapidly diminishing desire to VHF contest, in general .  Anybody else have an opinion ?

-W9RM
DM58 CO