Re: AA5PR/R Sept. contest rove

Jay

John,
Thanks for the pair of grids during the contest during your rove.  One was a WBNC, so it will be nice to get that one confirmed towards FFMA.

- Jay N1AV
DM43

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 6:37 PM John Klem <klemjf@...> wrote:
I'll have to say, this one was hard.  I heard absolutely no hint of any
opening on 6 m.  Despite my cell carrier claiming service in the area,
they had none, so I had no way of coordinating contacts.  That left a
lot band/mode/heading combinations for what should have been some
relatively easy contacts, so they didn't happen.

Over half my contacts were on 6 m meteor scatter, which is difficult
with 100 W and a Moxon.  I amused (?) myself with the observation that
in a typical QSO I probably had 10-20 decodes of my partner for each he
had of me.

My intended operating and camping spot in DM76 turned out to be
accessible only by a stretch of 2-track mud through grass, so I had to
settle for a site with an unfavorable southern horizon.

On the bright side:

I had a higher than usual proportion of contacts above 6 m. Jonesy,
W3DHJ/R, helped a lot, contributing more than a quarter of my score.  I
was able to give new FFMA grids to several people. No major equipment
failures.  The weather was great.  The night sky was dark.  And there
were little owls all over.

30 QSO points, 25 mults, 750 points

The picture shows the best available accommodations in the area.

John, AA5PR